Reading is essential to our development as humans

After having a look at those pictures, we can see that the ways of reading are countless. There are people reading in a library sitting on armchairs, students reading a book at school, a woman helping her granddaughter to read and an old woman reading from an electronic device. Therefore, many different reading habits are reflected on them. 

I consider that choosing the type of reading oneself is the key to achieve motivation. For example, from my point of view, not all children who are reading the same book at school will feel motivated towards it. However, the man who is reading the newspaper for pleasure is reading something that he is interested in.

The picture of the woman helping her granddaughter to read makes me think of those moments when I was little and my father taught me to read. We sat together on the sofa and we read from a storybook that I had received for my birthday. Regarding this, we can clearly see the influence parents and family have on the development of children as readers.

In addition, the resources we have at hand in order to get reads are numberless. As we see in the picture, libraries are a great source of books of all kinds and in big cities we have access to many of them. I studied at a British university for one year and the university library was the best I've ever known. It was quite big, there were several floors, we could use armchairs and carpets to sit on and we could use closed rooms to work in groups. I always remember that library and I wish I could visit a similar one here in Spain.

With regard to my own experience as a reader, I normally read newspapers and magazines in my L1 (Spanish) and I read novels in my L2 (English). I tend to read books from English-speaking authors I like. Furthermore, I normally read English from websites when I shop online or when I chat with my British friends.

All in all, I strongly believe that reading is the one of the best ways to discover new realities, new modes of thinking and to broaden our horizons. That's why I always try to make my students reflect on the quote "Today a reader, tomorrow a leader".






Comments

Popular Posts